HomeMy StudioPublished WorksSpecial Paper Projects

Monday, October 4, 2010

New and improved centerpiece/Faux mercury glass


Do you love mercury glass like I do? I would have a whole slew of it if I could afford it. I have a few pieces that I have collected, but recently I was looking on DIY blogspot, www.thediyshowoff.blogspot.com thediyshowoff.blogspot.comand came across the Faux mercury glass pumpkins. I knew I had to try this one, so went right to work on finding pumpkins. These were $1.00 each at Wal-mart. Then went to Home Depot to get the exact spray paint they were talking about. There are tw0. Rust-o-leum's Shiny Metallic Silver and Hammered Iron. I knew that I wanted to replace the candles on the tall candlesticks with the pumpkins. I love how they turned out.










Little turorial here! After spraying the pumpkins silver, don't wait for it to dry, then diffuse the hammered iron by using a large card of paper. Spray close to the object and let a little paint spray onto it. Then by pressing ever so slightly, the paint will spit out some larger speckled spray, giving the effect of mercury glass objects. I did this project for $13.00 and have been spraying other urns and objects turning them into beautiful pieces too.







The candlestick is real mercury glass, and the pieces in the pumpkin dish are also real. This is the new and improved Fall Centerpiece on my dining room table. An update on our weather here in Southern Nevada. It will drop drastically to the high of 74 degrees tomorrow! Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!! we are so excited. Fall has finally arrived in our neck of the woods. It might even rain this week! Yeah!!!!!!


Be sure to visit the Show and Tell Friday over at Romantic homes blog.  It is like looking at a wonderful magazine with projects and ideas at your fingertips.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Beverly @ My Sew Sweet Studio said...

Great fall vignette. I too love mercury glass, but don't have much. Thanks for the Tutorial on the pumpking. Will give it a try for the holidays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...