HomeMy StudioPublished WorksSpecial Paper Projects

Monday, March 11, 2013

Looking for Spring

It is getting quite spring-like out where I live, in the desert southwest, but on Friday and Saturday we had a big storm come through and it was raining and colder.  On Sunday morning I got up and it was sunny and the weather predicted 70 degrees.  I thought I am tired of going to church in dark winter colors, so I pulled out a new chiffon top that I made one day a few weeks ago, when I was in the mood to create something new at my sewing machine.  I took one of my favorite tops and used it for a pattern.  I love the way it fits and did not have a pattern I particularly liked for that bordered fabric, so just made a pattern from the other shirt.  I was not sure how it would turn out, but I was pleased when I got finished.  
It is very springy and oh so feminine.  I received the lovely vintage brooch in the mail for a swap in February from my good friend Laurie Jackson of indulgeyourshelf.blogspot.com and it sure seemed to go with it well.  I felt kind of cute at church, and got many compliments on it.  I also sewed vintage buttons on the front in the middle of the ruffles. With the brooch and the buttons, I will have to call this my vintage top!

I had a dear friend to lunch the other day and she brought me this beautiful necklace in this sweet little box. We exchange belated birthday gifts as her birthday is the day before mine in February.  Thankyou to Tracy.  I love it! It sure looked nice with the brooch from Laurie and was just right for the new top. 


 I love the silhouettes I have been given.  This one was for my birthday too, and others have been found out thrift shops or given to me also.

Also the other day I got to looking at the Silhouette that I also got for my birthday, and took pictures of others I had.  I love the spring backgrounds behind the glass.  I have 4 domed glass silhouettes, and I know they are vintage, but can anyone tell me when they were popular? 


These two will be put into frames, just as soon as I find some.  Or I might even list them on Etsy!

This one came from an antique shop just by itself and I pasted it to a card.  It is from Germany.  
I wish I knew the art of cutting such fine little silhouettes. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The top you made is so cute! Great job! My mom used to make those paper cuts in the 80's. If you look up the word "Scherenschnitte" (it is German) you can find books with patterns, etc.

Unknown said...

Such a pretty Spring top -
And I'm in love with those silouettes - just gorgeous!!!
XOX

The Junque Seeker said...

Hi, Michelle! The top you made is lovely, and perfect for spring. Enjoy the warmer weather!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh SPRING things! I need all the color I can get today. Your top is lovely. So feminine, love all the frills. The Silouettes have always fascinated me, I've a few of my grandmothers. Thanks for sharing. We were to have 48 by the end of the week. Rain & Ice Sat/ 10 inches of snow Sun, Cleanup Mon/ and today more wind and snow.
I'm enjoying a hot Mocha and my blog visits. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine.

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

What a pretty top! I'm in awe of people like you who can sew -- not one of my talents, but I keep saying I'm going to take lessons! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and your nice comment.

Laurie said...

Your new blouse is adorable -- I would wear that! I'm proud of you and I'm so glad the brooch went so well with it!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a beautiful top! I love the lines of it and the fabric is very pretty! I am horrible at clothes. I still have an outfit I tried making for my granddaughter sitting unfinished in my sewing room. I'm going to try and finish it but chances are it won't fit her size anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...