HomeMy StudioPublished WorksSpecial Paper Projects

Monday, May 27, 2013

Adventures in Chalk paint

My husband and I aquired this antique buffet about 25 years ago.  We were so thrilled to get it because it was a family heirloom.  I was told it came from Sweden on the boat with the first Askeroth to come over in 1880  It had been painted in a gold leaf type finish and the top was left to the oak finish.  There used to be lead and cut glass in the curved sides, but that got so broken up that it had to come out.  Then in the 90's when everyone was tole painting, I put the little scrolly touch on the bottom drawer.  Just last week, I decided to finally paint it again and give it a little update.  I used Annie Sloane chalk paint color "Poloma" and the result was exciting.  I then put a layer of the cream wax on it and lightly sanded it off.  I know if I put the dark wax on and rub it off, it might change the color.  So for now I am going to leave it as is.  I love it!  And I would love to have some input here on it too from my blogging friends.
Here is the before. . . . . . .
 . . . . and the After with the chalk paint finish.  The Poloma color is grey with a lavendar tint to it!  Almost all of the hardware is original to the piece, and I spray painted it with Rustoleum "Hammered Iron" and added a carved element to the bottom drawer to give it a little bit more drama to the buffet.
I am thinking of maybe putting a dark vintage wall paper in the back behind the dishes.  Any thoughts on this?



and in April I did my first chalk painted project, from a cabinet I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale.  Here are the before and after pictures of that cabinet. . . . . .
It was quite dirty and the glass was broken out of the door.  
I did my chicken wire treatment on it and added some braided molding on the drawer.  this chalkpaint is some that I made myself useing unsanded grout powder in the paint.  I sold it for $55.00 so that was a good profit with that one.  
Have a new chalk paint project coming up, can't wait to see how that one turns out.  
Happy Memorial day to everyone!


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like as is your cabinet but that is me.

Now the last picture change I love.

Carmen said...

Your buffet cabinet is gorgeous! You did a beautiful job on it. I can see a vintage wallpaper behind the glass. What a great idea! Do you think you'll keep the hardware dark? You're very fortunate to have such a unique piece of furniture. :-)

Unknown said...

Nice job! I usually put a light color wallpaper in pieces I have done that way it makes the items inside stand out and the inside as if it has light? The great part is you can just slide the paper in and see if you like it for a few days before you paste it in! I'm a fan of Toile' and have used it in 2 cabinets that I sold, the minute they hit the floor the owner would call me and say she'd saold them the same day. I think Toile' doesn't overpower objects in a display! Good Luck - can't wait to see what you decide on!

Unknown said...

Umm..yeah that word should be SOLD ;) Type waay to fast!

JoAnne said...

Beautiful makeovers Michele....love them both!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow, what a stunning piece of furniture with great bones. I love how you freshened it up with a lighter coat of paint and the hammered iron finish on the hardware was a great choice. I agree that a lighter color wallpaper might be a better choice, but a good idea to try it out before committing. Love the color you chose for the little cabinet and the rope edge trim and chick wire add so much character.

The Junque Seeker said...

The buffet is beautiful, Michele! The details really stand out now. That little aqua cabinet is darling, too!

Di@Cottage-Wishes said...

That turned out great! I like the idea of wall paper or a different color inside. I just painted my china cabinet olde white with the inside paris gray!
Your piece is so beautiful, I love that color.
Di

Old Magnolia Tree said...

I love what you've done with the dresser. It's so fresh and beautiful. I do think that the vintage wallpaper at the back would look absolutely fabulous too.
Rosie xx

Delvalina said...

I love the white one :)

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your heirloom buffet looks lovely in white! And your little cabinet makeover is wonderful, too!

Beth said...

What a great piece to start with and the paint with added accent touches are perfect!!

CatieAn said...

Your family heirloom is so pretty with the new look. I also love the little cabinet. You sure made a nice profit on the little bookshelf. The chicken wire really addes character.

Ivy and Elephants said...

That cabinet is amazing, love how you brought it back to life! You are featured this week at Ivy and Elephants. Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button.
Hugs,
Patti

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Both pieces are gorgeous!

sandy said...

they are beautiful! I would just use the same paint for the back of the piece!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Wow, I adore both of those pieces! I'm crazy for any shade of turquoise, so that smaller table is so lovely to me. The first one is beautiful in it's new chalk paint color. What beautiful lines it has! Great job on both and congrats on selling the one for a good price!

Unknown said...

I love both of them. I love redoing things. I think it is so fun. I also adore spray paint....you can do so many things with it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...