Monday, May 27, 2013

Adventures in Chalk paint

My husband and I aquired this antique buffet about 25 years ago.  We were so thrilled to get it because it was a family heirloom.  I was told it came from Sweden on the boat with the first Askeroth to come over in 1880  It had been painted in a gold leaf type finish and the top was left to the oak finish.  There used to be lead and cut glass in the curved sides, but that got so broken up that it had to come out.  Then in the 90's when everyone was tole painting, I put the little scrolly touch on the bottom drawer.  Just last week, I decided to finally paint it again and give it a little update.  I used Annie Sloane chalk paint color "Poloma" and the result was exciting.  I then put a layer of the cream wax on it and lightly sanded it off.  I know if I put the dark wax on and rub it off, it might change the color.  So for now I am going to leave it as is.  I love it!  And I would love to have some input here on it too from my blogging friends.
Here is the before. . . . . . .
 . . . . and the After with the chalk paint finish.  The Poloma color is grey with a lavendar tint to it!  Almost all of the hardware is original to the piece, and I spray painted it with Rustoleum "Hammered Iron" and added a carved element to the bottom drawer to give it a little bit more drama to the buffet.
I am thinking of maybe putting a dark vintage wall paper in the back behind the dishes.  Any thoughts on this?



and in April I did my first chalk painted project, from a cabinet I bought for $5.00 at a yard sale.  Here are the before and after pictures of that cabinet. . . . . .
It was quite dirty and the glass was broken out of the door.  
I did my chicken wire treatment on it and added some braided molding on the drawer.  this chalkpaint is some that I made myself useing unsanded grout powder in the paint.  I sold it for $55.00 so that was a good profit with that one.  
Have a new chalk paint project coming up, can't wait to see how that one turns out.  
Happy Memorial day to everyone!


Tuesday, May 14, 2013

New for the Etsy shop and some new cards

I have been in a blog posting slump.  So I have gotten together some photos of projects that were recently done for Mother's day sales.  I have had some strange and crazy things happen in the last little while.  I hope to get out of the slump I have been in.
I have been taking vintage dishtowels and turning them into something else.  This embroidered one took on new form of a swag for a retro kitchen style.
I made some cards recently.  They are all different with some being for thankyou and some just because!

some of the cards were already in celaphane ready to sell.
A very Country French one


I made some burlap bags for the Country store too.
Framed shabby French pieces
Lots of cards


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...